Health system resilience is the ability to prepare for, manage (absorb, adapt, and transform), and learn from shocks.
Multiple surveys conducted during the COVID-19 pandemic have documented the pandemic’s variable impact on the disruption of HIV prevention, care, and treatment services and the provision of related services for sexual and reproductive health, mental health, TB, and malaria.
The purpose of this survey is to understand the perceptions of providers of HIV care of the main drivers of HIV and related service disruptions in the 15 cities supported by the IAPAC/UNAIDS Fast-Track Cites project and what strategies helped to mitigate these disruptions. This will inform the development of a framework for resilient urban HIV services in response to future crises.
The following resources have been used for reference to terms and questions in this survey.
- Strengthening health systems resilience: key concepts and strategies. Steve Thomas Anna Sagan James Larkin Jonathan Cylus Josep Figueras Marina Karanikolos World Health Organization 2020 and the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies 2020
- The impact of the COVID-19 lockdown on HIV care in 65 South African primary care clinics: an interrupted time series analysis Jienchi Dorward, Thokozani Khubone, Kelly Gate, Hope Ngobese, Yukteshwar Sookrajh, Siyabonga Mkhize, et al. Lancer HV Volume 8, Issue 3, E158-E165, March 01, 2021
- Global Fund Biweekly Survey: COVID-19 Situation Report Disruption of HIV, TB and Malaria Services https://www.theglobalfund.org/en/our-covid-19-response/
- Global Fund Survey: Majority of HIV, TB and Malaria Programs Face Disruptions as a Result of COVID-19 https://www.theglobalfund.org/en/covid-19/news/2020-06-17-global-fund-survey-majority-of-hiv-tb-and-malaria-programs-face-disruptions-as-a-result-of-covid-19/
- Changes in HIV Testing Services After Covid-19 in 11 Sub-Saharan African Countries Bakary Drammeh Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA CROI 2021 http://www.croiwebcasts.org/console/player/48212?mediaType=slideVideo&
- Adapted from: Resilience and Innovation: Mitigating the Impact of COVID-19 on HIV Programs Wafaa El-Sadr, MD, MPH, MPA ICAP at Columbia University https://cquin.icap.columbia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/El-Sadr-CQUIN-Dec9_FINAL.pdf
- COVID-19: Operational guidance for maintaining essential health services during an outbreak. Interim guidance WHO 25 March 2020
- PEPFAR Technical Guidance in Context of COVID-19 Pandemic June 23 2021 https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/06.23.21-PEPFAR-Technical-Guidance-During-COVID-final.pdf